Organic European Baby Formula: What Sets It Apart From the Rest?

Posted by Rachel Horon on

 

Organic European Baby Formula: What Sets It Apart From the Rest? 

Europe is not the only continent to produce organic baby formula. What makes these products better?

Parents rave about the baby formula that comes from Europe. Hipp, Holle, and Lebenswert are frequently recommended for their babies. But it is just baby formula, right? What makes it better than what is readily available on store shelves and their U.S.-based online stores?

Organic Quality

The National Organic Standards Board of the USDA is responsible for the organic standards in the United States. They do not dictate the guidelines of organic standards of other countries or continents. So while the U.S. May have equivalence cooperation agreements, it doesn't mean they see eye to eye in some standards.

Organic standards generally mean natural products that do not include hormones, antibiotics, steroids, pesticides, herbicides, GMOs, or synthetic ingredients. Organic European baby formula from companies such as Hipp, Holle, and Lebenswert are known to surpass guidelines because of their farming practices. For that reason, they can advertise that they are 99% organic because of their ingredients. The remaining 1% is from the minerals that cannot be obtained through organic means.

Better Ingredients

The United States allows natural ingredients in their organic baby formula, but not all natural ingredients are appropriate for your little one's developing digestive system. The European Union recognizes that has has banned some of the ingredients allowed in U.S. formulas from their formulas.

Every baby formula needs a carbohydrate. Breast milk consists of lactose, which is a milk sugar. Hipp, Holle, and Lebenswert all use lactose in their infant milks, which Holle and Lebenswert will use organic maltodextrin which comes from corn. Maltodextrin is a thickener that also balances the sweetness of the milk and lactose that is in the formula. Lebenswert also uses the milk to create its sweetness before it is balanced by the lactose or maltodextrin. In the U.S., approved carbohydrates includes table sugar (sucrose), corn syrup, corn syrup solids, or even brown rice syrup. While naturally produced, they are too sweet for babies. For little ones who become accustomed to sweet foods, it can affect their developing palate and even lead to childhood obesity, diabetes, and other long-term health concerns.

Organic European baby formula companies also focus on high quality raw ingredients. Holle only uses milk from Demeter-certified farms. The cows and goats from these farms are raised on grass that has not been treated in any way. These cows are also not dehorned or confined to farm buildings. There is a balance between soil, animal, and farmer that creates ingredients that surpass the organic expectations.

Despite the use of organic milk and other ingredients, many of the U.S. companies may add ingredients that are synthetic or extracted using chemicals or carcinogenics. Nucleotides and taurine may be found in breast milk, they may be created in labs or extracted with toxins that may leech into the formula. Carrageenan is derived from seaweed, which makes it a natural food thickener, but studies show that it can lead to intestinal inflammation and colon tumors.

Hexane is a concern to some parents. This industrial solvent is used to extract DHA and ARA fatty acids from lab-grown algae and fungus. Hipp is the organic European baby formula company that uses fish oil as a source for DHA and ARA for brain and eye development.

Easy to Digest

When parents choose organic baby formula, they want something that is natural and pure. They also do not want additives that can trigger problems later such as allergies and food sensitivities. One way to do that is to promote a healthy digestive system. Your baby is still trying to grow and develop. While they seem perfect on the outside, their little tummies are still trying to regulate digestion. So your baby can develop a stronger immune system and be less likely to develop allergies from synthetic products and by-products. Prebiotics and probiotics in the combiotic Hipp formula contain galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS) derived from lactose and natural lactic acid.

The goal of these companies is that your baby is happy and healthy. You have many brands and products from which to choose. However, the world is smaller than it used to be, which means that you have more options that just what is on your store shelves. Baby formulas from Hipp, Holle, and Lebenswert have set themselves apart from the rest of the organic baby formulas and you can obtain your organic choice for your little one.

Brows our Organic Baby Formula Products 


Older Post Newer Post

0 comments

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published